Wednesday, January 29, 2014

August Highlights

The first of the month,  my uncle and cousin were so gracious to move the desk and piano from my mom's house.  Growing up, I took piano lessons from 3rd to 12th grade, and I loved playing every chance I could get.  Since the piano wasn't doing much good in my old room in Weatherford, my mom wanted to move it to my new study.  She also was so sweet to let me use the desk in her study since she didn't really use it much.  It has been so great for the times that I work from home.  I was thrilled about having the piano and immediately started going through my old music.


One day after work, I arrived home to find a box on my porch.  My mortgage company sent me cookies!  How sweet is that?  They were Mrs. Field's, and boy, were they yummy :)



I couldn't believe it, but August 9th finally rolled around and it was time to head to Waco for the rehearsal and dinner for my best friend's wedding.  Like I said in a previous post, Ashley and I met during welcome week our first day at Baylor, and we ended up in the Intro to Business class together.  I really enjoyed getting to know her that first semester, and we quickly became good friends.  We ended up going to the same church, which was awesome.  Ashley has been such an amazing part of my life the past 7 1/2 years; she is such a good friend who isn't afraid to tell me like it is or give me wise counsel.  She is such a light, and I'm always amazed to see how she stretches herself to serve others.  Ashley met Drew during their summer study abroad trip to Great Britain, and they started dating several months after they got back. Despite facing a long-distance relationship for much of their time together, it seemed like it only helped them grow closer.  They got engaged in October 2012, so I think everyone was excited that the day was finally here!

I was staying with the Hatfield's that weekend, and they insisted on taking a picture before I went to the rehearsal.


The rehearsal was at the site of the ceremony, the chapel at Truett Seminary, and it was my first time to be inside the room.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  I totally understand why they wanted to get married there.  After the rehearsal, we all drove to One Thirty Five Prime in Hewitt for dinner.  The dinner was so yummy!  Ashley's sister Alexis had prepared a slideshow, which was so fun to watch.  After that, everyone had an opportunity to say a few things about Ashley and Drew.  I was so nervous, but I couldn't not say something!  I'm sure I fumbled a little, but I was so glad I took advantage of the opportunity.  I love Ashley so much, and it's been so great getting to know Drew these past few years.

Me and Chelsea after the rehearsal


That night, most of the bridesmaids shared two rooms at the Courtyard hotel.  Honestly, most of us just crashed - we wanted to get a good night's rest!  The next morning, we woke up and went to a bridal brunch at Cafe Cappuccino (my FAVORITE place to eat in Waco!)  It was delicious and we all really enjoyed it.  It was such a relaxing way to start the day too.  We headed to La Bella Visage salon after brunch to start getting ready.  We were all getting our hair done, so with the bride and 8 attendants, there were quite a few of us!  I absolutely loved how my hair turned out.

Inspiration for the hair:

Front angle:

Side angle: 

After everyone finished up, we headed to the chapel to get dressed.  My mom had one request - that I have someone take a picture of me so she could have one.  I mentioned it to Chelsea, and she was SO sweet to take a couple using her AMAZING photography skills.  I am always so amazed by her work.  She has started a photography business by the way - you should check it out at www.pershallphotography.com


Obligatory photo with the bride :)


A few with the wedding party:



One of my favorite moments of the day was right before the ceremony, when all the bridesmaids gathered around Ashley and prayed over her.  It was absolutely the sweetest moment.  I'm so honored that I had the privilege of standing with Ashley that day and supporting her as she got married!  Our college pastor, Michael, officiated, and he did an outstanding job.  I actually managed not to cry during the cerremony, but it was so moving.  What a joyous day it was!

The reception was held at the Phoenix ballroom, and it was a reunion of sorts.  Since we were in Waco, several of the people that were so influential to me when I was at Baylor were able to attend.

me, Terry and Jan 


Victoria was the oldest child in the family that adopted me through FBC Woodway during my Freshman year.  At the time she was probably 12, but now she is in her senior year of high school!  I cannot believe she is about to head off to college herself.  Time flies!


Victoria's mom, Lisa - love this woman so much.  Such an inspiration to me!


The reception was so much fun.  The food was great, fellowship was better, and I even ventured out to the dance floor by the end of the night.  Talk about a great time!  The day seemed perfect.  While Ashley and Drew enjoyed a private last dance, all the guests prepared to light sparklers for their departure.  It was such a neat idea and so pretty as they walked out!  We bid them farewell as they were off on their honeymoon.

Again, what an amazing experience this was.  So grateful I was able to be a part of it!

The next weekend, I did a few more things in the house.  I acquired a few more pieces of furniture and hung some curtains


The top picture shows the new curtains for my bedroom, which coordinated perfectly with my bedding.  We drove all the way to a Target in Colleyville to find them - they were sold out in Weatherford and Fort Worth.  The bottom left is the chair I got for my bedroom; since I don't have a mudroom, it serves as the place I keep my everyday stuff.  The bottom middle is the art I got to go above my chest of drawers (across from my bed).  The bottom right is the fabulous sofa table I found for the living room.  Everything was definitely starting to come together!

Since I now had a home, I really wanted to start subscribing to the Star-Telegram.  Growing up, I read the paper almost every morning, so it was something that brought back fond memories.  I found a great deal to just get the Wednesday and Sunday papers, which were really all I needed it.  I was pretty excited the first day it was delivered.



August 31st was the first Baylor football home game!  This is the third year that I got season tickets with the Hatfield's - the family I lived with my last semester at Baylor.  We have three tickets, so they rotate who goes to each game.  It was SO incredibly hot, but the game was great and Baylor beat Wofford 69-3!

The Baylor line is always huge the first game - all the freshmen participate it seems!



Kickoff - bright and sunny day!



The Bears definitely started the season off strong!  I was looking forward to heading down for all the other home games :)  Sic 'em Bears!

No comments: